For Bbq marinade:
- 2 lge tomatoes
- 1 red capsicum seeded & sliced (bell pepper)
- 1/2 green capsicum seeded & sliced
- 1 medium onion
- 3 tbsps smoke paprika
- 1 tsp of garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp of ketchup/tomato sauce
- 5 portabello mushrooms or lge cup mushrooms ( 5 served 2 decent sized meals .. keeping in mind mushrooms shrink)
- 1tbsp oil for cooking
- Place all ingredients for marinade into food processor or blender and mix until smooth consistency ( wont be completely smooth but that’s fine)
- Place marinade into a large bowl separate 1/4 of marinade and leave aside.
- Cut mushrooms into “rib” sized pieces and place into large bowl of marinade, mix all pieces around until all evenly covered.
- Get a heavy pot or pan ready & add oil( we used dutch oven pot) put on medium heat, add 1/4 cup of marinade that’s been set aside & allow to cook for 1 minute.
- Place “ribs” on top of base sauce and cover pot with lid, allow to cook for approx 5 mins on each side remebering to cover pot again after turning.
- After cooking 5 mins each side, remove lid and allow for any water to evaporate and mushrooms to caramalise roughly another minute or so (pls take note sugar burns quickly, however we do want to achieve some “char” as thats adds to the “BBQish” flavour we are looking for)
- Remove off heat & serve with your favourite sides, we served ours with a creamy potato salad 🙂
** Do not let mushrooms sit in marinade for too long before cooking as mushrooms will retain the water and stew rather than caramalise 😁