Are you on the hunt for a scrumptious vegan biryani that doesn’t compromise on flavor? You’ve come to the right place! Biryani is a beloved Indian dish known for its fragrant rice, aromatic spices, and an irresistible blend of ingredients. Unfortunately, traditional biryani recipes often contain meat or dairy, leaving vegans searching for a satisfying alternative. Look no further – our vegan biryani recipe is designed specifically to cater to your plant-based lifestyle while retaining all the mouthwatering elements that make this dish so popular.
We understand the pain points of finding vegan recipes that truly satisfy your taste buds, and the challenge of replicating the flavors of your favorite non-vegan dishes. That’s why we’ve spent countless hours in the kitchen perfecting this recipe, ensuring it delivers the same depth of taste as its meat-filled counterparts. With our expertise in vegan cooking, we’ve combined a variety of spices, vegetables, and plant-based protein sources to create a balanced, wholesome, and delectable vegan biryani.
Our vegan biryani is crafted with a diverse audience in mind – from seasoned vegans to curious foodies who are eager to explore plant-based cuisine. This recipe is also suitable for those with dietary restrictions or allergies, as it is gluten-free, nut-free, and soy-free. Whether you’re hosting a dinner party or preparing a family meal, this vegan biryani will surely impress your guests and leave everyone craving more.
We’re excited by sharing our passion for delicious, plant-based food that doesn’t sacrifice flavor or authenticity. We encourage you to give this vegan biryani recipe a try, and we’re confident that you’ll find it to be a game changer. Get ready to embark on a culinary adventure that will elevate your vegan cooking repertoire and dazzle your taste buds with every bite!
Vegan Biryani Recipe Ingredients:
- 2 cups basmati rice, soaked for 30 minutes and drained
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup cauliflower florets
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup green peas (fresh or frozen)
- 1 cup chopped bell peppers (any color)
- 1 cup cubed tofu or tempeh (optional)
- 3-4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, for garnish
- 1/4 cup chopped mint leaves, for garnish
- Salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 4 green cardamom pods
- 2 black cardamom pods
- 4 cloves
- 1-inch cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder (adjust to taste)
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground fennel
Vegan Biryani Recipe Instructions:
- Prepare the rice:
- Cook the soaked basmati rice in a large pot of boiling water until it’s 70-80% cooked, then drain and set aside.
- Prepare the vegetables:
- In a large pan, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat.
- Add the cumin seeds, green and black cardamom, cloves, cinnamon stick, and bay leaf. Stir for a minute or until fragrant.
- Add the sliced onions and cook until golden brown.
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes, along with the ground spices (turmeric, red chili, garam masala, coriander, ginger, and fennel). Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the cauliflower, carrots, green peas, and bell peppers. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until the vegetables are partially cooked.
- If using tofu or tempeh, add them to the pan and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Adjust salt to taste.
- Layer the biryani:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a large ovenproof dish, layer half of the partially cooked rice.
- Spread the vegetable mixture evenly over the rice layer.
- Top with the remaining rice, spreading it evenly.
- Cover the dish tightly with aluminum foil, ensuring a good seal to trap the steam.
- Bake and garnish:
- Bake the biryani in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld and the rice to fully cook.
- Remove from the oven, carefully uncover, and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Fluff the rice with a fork, then garnish with chopped cilantro and mint leaves.
- Serve and enjoy:
- Serve the vegan biryani with your favorite vegan raita, cucumber salad, or a side of tangy mango chutney.
- Enjoy the delightful flavors and aroma of this delectable plant-based feast!