Who doesn’t love a good brownie? With their rich, chocolatey flavor and fudgy texture, brownies are a beloved dessert that never fails to satisfy a sweet tooth. But what if you’re vegan, or looking to cut down on dairy and eggs in your diet? Fear not – with the right ingredients and technique, you can make delicious vegan brownies that are every bit as decadent as the classic version.
In this blog post, we’ll share our favorite vegan brownie recipe, along with tips and tricks for making them just right. We’ll start by discussing the ingredients you’ll need, including vegan butter, plant-based milk, and cocoa powder. Then we’ll walk you through the steps of making the brownies, from whisking the dry ingredients to folding in the wet ones. We’ll also suggest some variations and additions you can try, such as adding chopped nuts or swapping in different sweeteners.
But that’s not all – we’ll also share ideas for serving and enjoying your vegan brownies. Whether you prefer them warm and gooey or chilled and firm, we’ll have suggestions for how to enjoy them to the fullest. And of course, we’ll offer some tips for storing your brownies so you can savor them over time.
So, whether you’re a vegan, a chocolate lover, or simply looking for a healthier twist on a classic dessert, you won’t want to miss this recipe. Let’s get started!
Vegan Brownie Recipe Ingredients
To make our vegan brownies, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, melted
- 1/2 cup plant-based milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Note: Be sure to check the labels of your ingredients to make sure they’re all vegan.
Vegan Brownie Recipe Instructions
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C). Grease an 8-inch square baking pan with vegan butter or cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the melted vegan butter, plant-based milk, and vanilla extract.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Don’t overmix!
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and smooth the surface with a spatula.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the brownies comes out clean.
- Let the brownies cool completely in the pan before cutting into squares.
Vegan Brownie Recipe Variations
Want to customize your vegan brownies? Here are some ideas for variations:
- Add chopped nuts, such as walnuts or pecans, to the batter before baking.
- Stir in vegan chocolate chips for extra chocolatey goodness.
- Swirl in a spoonful of vegan peanut butter or hazelnut spread before baking.
- Top the cooled brownies with vegan whipped cream or frosting for a special occasion.
Once your vegan brownies are ready, it’s time to serve and enjoy! Here are some ideas for serving and storing your brownies:
- Cut the brownies into squares and serve with vegan ice cream or whipped cream.
- Enjoy a brownie with a cup of coffee or tea for a cozy treat.
- Store any leftover brownies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to three days, or in the freezer for up to three months.
We hope you’ve enjoyed this vegan brownie recipe and that you’ll give it a try. Whether you’re a vegan or just looking for a tasty plant-based dessert, these brownies are sure to satisfy. Don’t forget to share your results and any variations you’ve tried with us in the comments!
Tips for Perfect Vegan Brownies
Making vegan brownies is easy, but there are a few tips to keep in mind to ensure your brownies come out perfectly every time:
- Use quality ingredients: For the best results, use high-quality vegan butter, cocoa powder, and plant-based milk. This will give your brownies a rich, chocolatey flavor and moist texture.
- Don’t overmix: When you’re mixing the wet and dry ingredients together, be careful not to overmix. Overmixing can lead to tough, dry brownies. Mix until just combined, and then stop.
- Use the right pan: We recommend using an 8-inch square baking pan for this recipe. Using a larger or smaller pan can affect the cooking time and texture of your brownies.
- Let the brownies cool completely: It can be tempting to dive into your freshly-baked brownies right away, but it’s important to let them cool completely in the pan before cutting into squares. This will help them hold their shape and prevent them from crumbling.
- Experiment with add-ins: While the basic recipe is delicious on its own, don’t be afraid to experiment with different add-ins like nuts, chocolate chips, or dried fruit. Just be sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly.
With these tips in mind, you’ll be able to make perfect vegan brownies every time. Enjoy!
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can I substitute the all-purpose flour for a gluten-free flour?
Yes, you can! You can use a gluten-free flour blend instead of the all-purpose flour. However, keep in mind that different flours absorb liquids differently, so you may need to adjust the amount of plant-based milk in the recipe to get the right consistency.
2. Can I use coconut oil instead of vegan butter?
Yes, you can use melted coconut oil instead of vegan butter. However, keep in mind that coconut oil has a stronger flavor than vegan butter, so it may affect the taste of the brownies.
3. Can I make these brownies without cocoa powder?
No, cocoa powder is a key ingredient in this recipe and gives the brownies their rich, chocolatey flavor. However, you can experiment with using cacao powder or carob powder as a substitute.
4. Can I freeze these brownies?
Yes, you can freeze these brownies. To freeze, let the brownies cool completely and then cut them into squares. Wrap each square tightly in plastic wrap or foil, and then place them in a freezer-safe container or bag. The brownies will keep in the freezer for up to three months. To thaw, let them come to room temperature or microwave them for a few seconds.
5. Can I use almond milk or soy milk instead of plant-based milk?
Yes, you can use almond milk, soy milk, or any other type of plant-based milk in this recipe. Just be sure to choose an unsweetened variety to keep the brownies from being too sweet.
Hopefully, these FAQs have helped answer some of your questions about making vegan brownies. If you have any other questions or concerns, please don’t hesitate to leave a comment and we’ll do our best to help!