As more and more people turn to plant-based diets for ethical, health, and environmental reasons, veganism is gaining popularity around the world. Whether you’re a long-time vegan or simply looking to incorporate more plant-based meals into your diet, Brussels sprouts are a versatile and nutritious vegetable that can be prepared in many ways.
Not only are Brussels sprouts packed with vitamins and minerals, including vitamin C, vitamin K, and fiber, but they’re also low in calories and can be a satisfying addition to any meal. From roasting and sautéing to grilling and braising, there are countless ways to prepare Brussels sprouts that are both delicious and vegan-friendly.
In this blog post, we’ll share a step-by-step recipe for roasted Brussels sprouts that’s easy to follow and can be customized to suit your taste preferences. We’ll also provide some tips and tricks for preparing Brussels sprouts, as well as suggestions for different variations and substitutions that you can try.
So whether you’re a die-hard Brussels sprouts fan or simply looking to try something new, read on for a delicious and healthy vegan recipe that’s sure to please.
Recipe: Vegan Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Roasting is one of the easiest and most delicious ways to prepare Brussels sprouts. When roasted, Brussels sprouts become tender and slightly caramelized, with a crispy exterior and a nutty, sweet flavor. This recipe for vegan roasted Brussels sprouts is a simple yet flavorful dish that is perfect for any occasion.
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Wash the Brussels sprouts and remove any yellow leaves. Cut off the ends of each sprout and then cut them in half.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the Brussels sprouts, olive oil, garlic powder, onion powder, smoked paprika, salt, and black pepper. Toss everything together until the Brussels sprouts are well coated.
- Spread the Brussels sprouts out in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Roast the Brussels sprouts for 20-25 minutes, or until they’re tender and lightly browned.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and allow the Brussels sprouts to cool for a few minutes before serving.
- For even cooking, make sure the Brussels sprouts are cut into uniform sizes.
- To get a crispier texture, you can try roasting the Brussels sprouts at a higher temperature or for a longer time.
- If you prefer a spicier flavor, try adding a pinch of cayenne pepper to the seasoning mix.
Variations and Substitutions:
- You can add other vegetables, such as sliced carrots or sweet potatoes, to the roasting pan to create a colorful and nutritious dish.
- Try adding different herbs and spices, such as rosemary, thyme, or cumin, to the seasoning mix for added flavor.
- If you don’t have smoked paprika, regular paprika or chili powder can be used as a substitute.
This vegan roasted Brussels sprouts recipe is a simple and delicious way to enjoy this nutrient-dense vegetable. It’s perfect as a side dish or as a main course when paired with other plant-based proteins, such as quinoa or roasted chickpeas. With just a few basic ingredients and some simple preparation steps, this recipe is easy to make and sure to impress. Give it a try and discover a new favorite way to enjoy Brussels sprouts!